Sunday, February 1, 2015

Disappearing January

Oops! I can't believe the month of January has come and gone and I didn't manage to post once. I did manage to do a lot of other stuff, though, including host my sister M for a 2+ week visit, go on three trips, and complete (along with a large number of my colleagues) a colossal work deadline.

I also got a new phone! So I have some pictures to share of all these things that kept me from blogging. I didn't get it up and running until after the first trip (we took my sister to Melbourne), so no pictures of that - which is probably for the best, because it was New Year's weekend and the temperature was over 40C/105F both days.

Then we had a few days in Canberra, which was a blur of sightseeing, cramming work, and prepping for our next trip (warning, lots of pictures coming):


We went on our annual beach vacation to Jervis Bay - self-catering as usual:


Action shot from the first night, when I was in the middle of prepping pizzas for six - the opening salvo in a full-on week of cooking....


Some of it documented by Miss B, who wrote up and illustrated some menus....


The counter laid out for leftover lunch on Sunday - leftovers from Saturday night's surf and turf dinner, a corn salad made from leftover ears of corn, a green salad, and various other bits and pieces....


On Monday we went to have lunch with friends who have a house further down the coast; my contribution was a pan full of frico....


It was our turn to cook for them later in the week, and I cleaned out the fridge to make a massive seafood chowder....



I even managed to MacGyver up a batch of cookies for DP and Miss B to bring along as a thank-you for a special-access visit arranged for them.

Two days after we got back from the beach, I left again, this time for work. I spent 5 days in the UK, of which I took almost no pictures, although I did get one of Jobn Snow's famous parish pump, with the pub that bears his name in the background - an important landmark for anyone involved in any way with public health:


Then I went to Freiburg for another 4 days; luckily 2 of them were over a weekend, so I got to do some fun stuff as well as work - like go to the Saturday market with my friend C...


...go for a drive into the Schwarzwald (aka the Black Forest)...


...and go sledding!


And, of course, no visit to these Freiburg friends would be complete without a raclette dinner:


The day after that, I flew back to Australia, returning just in time for the final push to meet the huge deadline I mentioned earlier. And now it's February, and school starts in 2 days, and it's quite chilly out, and where did summer vacation go?


I hope all is well in your worlds, and that I'll be back very soon to provide more details on some of those dishes listed above.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...