Thursday, November 7, 2013

MacGyver meals



I think it’s well documented by now on this blog how much I love leftovers: they have their own tag over there on the right, which is the ultimate proof as far as I’m concerned. Sometimes I purposely cook more than I need of some foods to lay the groundwork for a leftovers meal; more often, though, I just cook a lot of food, and then I have to figure out a way to use it up.

Reheating some for lunch is always an option, of course. But I’ve tried to get into the habit, when doing my weekly menu plan, of leaving one night unscheduled. This is a challenge to myself, to find a creative way of using up whatever leftovers might be lurking in the fridge. I call these MacGyver meals, in homage to the 80s US television series in which the title character frequently extracts himself from perilous situations using things like paper clips and gum wrappers. Repurposing leftover proteins, starches, and vegetables into something tasty and dinner-worthy might not be a life-or-death dilemma, but achieving it does make me feel a little bit like Superwoman.

Here are some of my favorite vehicles for MacGyver meals:

Omelets/frittatas
Pizzas/puffs/pot pies
Sandwiches/toasties/quesadillas
Soups
Stuffed peppers

Are there others I've missed? Fill me in!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...