Thursday, May 3, 2012

Recipe refinement


I realize I've now posted more than once about coconut clusters, but in adapting them into Easter nests, I made some refinements to the recipe that are worth noting:

1. In particular, I determined that a ratio of 2 parts chocolate to 1 part coconut (by weight) was optimal for getting the right balance flavor and texture. So, for the enormous crowd we were expecting, I used one 14-ounce (400g) bag of sweetened coconut, and about 28-30 ounces (800-850g) of dark chocolate.

2. When everything was mixed to my satisfaction, I scooped out lumps with my cookie scoop (like a mini ice-cream scoop, about 1 inch/2.54 cm across), dropped them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and let them cool for a bit.

3. Then, while they were still soft, I sprinkled them very lightly with kosher salt and pressed two jordan almonds into the top of each one.

Voila--Easter nests! A very, very rich and grownup version of my favorite Easter candy of childhood. It's so comforting to know I'll be able to have these next year, when I'm no longer 20 miles from a Russell Stover outlet (more like 9,000).

2 comments:

Justine said... Best Blogger Tips

A Russel Stover Outlet? I did not know such a wonderful place existed!

Roving Lemon said... Best Blogger Tips

@Justine More than one, even! One of the joys of living in KC - there are a ton of them around here, and they have stuff for sale I've never seen elsewhere. A fixture on the itinerary for visiting members of my chocolate-mad family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...