Monday, August 10, 2009

Chain reaction

After 2+ weeks of feeding visitors, I had a lot of leftovers in the fridge, so yesterday I took a break from my latest nightmarish work deadline and had a cooking session to use some of them up. I defrosted some pâte brisée and made another batch of beef stroganoff turnovers; then found myself with some pastry dough still left and no more filling. Not wanting to create yet more leftovers, I borrowed an age-old trick used by generations of British cooks, and made mini jam tarts: circles of dough, poked into tiny baking cups, with dollops of jam in the middle. Then I took the very last scraps, and made cinnamon-sugar pastry rolls (which are just what they sound like). Miss B was absolutely thrilled by this whole project and got involved in every aspect (getting completely covered with dough and flour in the process), and after it was all cooked we had a pastry-themed lunch.

I just wish (so much!) that I had thought to put applesauce in some of the tarts. So much that I might have to make another batch of pastry and start all over again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

My mother always used to make cheeses straws with her left over pastry. She just put parm cheese on 1/2 and then folded it over and cut it into "straws" and baked. We LOVED her cheese straws!!

Roving Lemon said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Anonymous! Thanks for your comment, and what a great idea! I must remember cheese straws for my next batch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...