Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fridge reincarnation


Eating Down the Fridge has got me engaging in some serious lateral food thinking. Rooting through the fridge on Monday afternoon, I found some stale bread. (No, not that stale bread. Although I'm still working on that.) Two brioches that I had bought on a whim a couple of weeks ago, put in the fridge (so they wouldn't get stale, ha ha), and promptly forgotten about. Also two (!) half-empty containers of cream, bought to serve with two recent company desserts.

I was reminded of a very rich dessert recipe that Nigella Lawson devised in Nigella Express to use up two stale croissants. Following her lead, I came up with:

Brioche Bread Pudding
2 stale brioches
125ml/5oz heavy cream
2 eggs
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla

1. Grease an ovenproof baking dish. Chop up the brioches into small chunks and place in the dish.
2. Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over brioche chunks.
3. You can bake this immediately, but I covered it, weighted it with some cans, and let it soak for a couple of hours, then baked it at 180C/350F until it looked set and was brown on top.

Oh, and guess what I did for a topping?

I warmed up some Fail Jam (yes, I finally took it out of the pickle jar) with some water and a little cinnamon sugar, and turned it into Fail Jam Sauce.

Brioche Bread Pudding with Fail Jam Sauce. It was goooood. So good I wish I could convince someone else in my house to eat it so I'm not the only person on earth who knows how good it is. So good I might have to make it again on purpose.

(Still a lot of Fail Jam left.)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...