Monday, December 22, 2008

Avocado challenge

Since I announced the Cookbook Challenge three weeks ago, I thought it was about time that I posted about what kind of progress I've been making.

The cookbook Real Fast Food (350 Recipes Ready-To-Eat in 30 Minutes) by Nigel Slater

I had an unexpectedly difficult time finding five recipes from this book that I wanted to make and that I thought at least DP, if not DP and Miss B, would want to eat.

The first recipe Avocado with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette

The ingredients
2 pieces of streaky/American bacon
2 tomatoes (skinned if you have time) and diced*
3 T red wine vinegar**
50 ml/2 oz olive oil**
2 T Dijon mustard
2 ripe avocadoes***

Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces and fry. When it has crisped up, throw in the tomatoes, the vinegar and the olive oil. Stir in the mustard and stir to heat and combine.

Halve, stone and peel the avocadoes, place two halves on each plate and slice into thick wedges.**** Pour over the dressing and serve hot.

*I only had cherry tomatoes, so I substituted about 5 for each tomato. I did not skin them.

**I had homemade vinaigrette in the fridge, so I substituted that.

***I only used one avocado. But I made the same amount of dressing as suggested for two.

****I didn't peel or slice the avocado, just halved it and poured the dressing over. Very retro.

The presentation I served this as a side to steak sandwiches with blue cheese sauce on homemade rolls. We also had oven chips.

The verdict Miss B was vehemently uninterested in this entire meal (which I had expected), and had leftover pasta and broccoli instead. I figured I could sell DP on this, since it contains one of the ‘magic’ ingredients (the other one is cream) guaranteed to pique his interest in a new dish, and I was right. He liked it, but didn’t rave about it. I liked it in and of itself, but with the other dishes it made for a lot of different--and not necessarily harmonious--flavors. I’d probably make it again, but next time I think I'll have it for lunch and enjoy it on its own, with maybe just some good bread. It's very filling. Also, next time, I’ll stick to the recommended proportions of dressing and avocado. There was a lot of dressing.

2 comments:

KJ said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm going to try this one. I am the only one in the house that will eat it but that's 80 percent of my existence right there. Yum.

I HAVE to get my friend LPD in on the Cookbook Challenge. I meant to send this to her. I think she has a potential closet avalanche stash of cook books and the zeal to go along with it.

Merry, Merry Christmas to all of you. (You'll likely get my xmas card next week as MF Target screwed me with photo server crash. Deep yoga breaths)

Roving Lemon said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a whole swath of foods that no one else in the house will eat.

Would love to have LPD in on the Challenge--I'm already thinking about when to do it again!

Merry Christmas to you guys too! Our cards will probably cross en route--keep deep breathing and remember DP's rule that, as long as the card is *postmarked* by December 25, you're okay. That's why there are 12 days of Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...