Thursday, November 8, 2012

Cumquat curd



Wow, am I glad I took the road less traveled and didn't make those windfall cumquats into marmalade. This curd is stupendous. I had enough to fill a little more than two jars for canning - one to bring back to C. as a thank-you for letting me forage in her garden and one to hoard for myself for a bit - plus just enough left over for a Sunday lunch dessert I'll tell you about later. For now, here's the recipe. 

Cumquat curd

I adapted what appears to be a pretty standard lemon curd recipe to make this, and I didn't bother straining out the zest (as some recipes suggest), as it had already been chopped pretty finely in the food processor and I thought it would add some nice texture to the finished curd.
 
6 egg yolks
1 cup/210 g sugar
½ cup/120 ml cumquat julp
2 heaping Tbsp cumquat zest
½ cup/120 g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
generous pinch of salt*


In a medium saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cumquat julp, and zest. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring very frequently with a whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Set aside to cool.

Makes enough curd to fill to half-pint/250 ml jars with a few large spoonfuls left over.

* I used a big pinch of rosemary salt here - a fantastic combination with the cumquats.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...