Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas baking

The Christmas season has been characterized by feelings of upheaval for me since we first moved overseas, 12 years ago. Since then, we have travelled to Boston for six Christmases (two of them stopovers in the midst of long-distance moves), packed up and left Boston immediately after another, fit two more in between trips for a job where I was travelling 50% of the time, and stayed put for one that was spent largely in the hospital with Miss B. By my reckoning, that leaves two relatively peaceful Christmases since 1997. Possibly an underlying reason for my reaction to seeing astronomical airfares to Boston and deciding that staying put again this year was the way to go.



Christmas takes on a whole different aspect when one removes the prospect of airline travel; organizing gifts, postage, and food from a remote location; and schedule-juggling extraordinaire. I’ve still had to Christmas shop for the same number of people, write cards, decorate, wrap, plan festive meals and see to the hundred other details that are associated with holiday arrangements, but it all feels so much less overwhelming. And it’s given me time to indulge in a tradition that’s gotten short shrift in my kitchen(s) for quite a few years: Christmas baking.

I may have gone a little over the top, after a phone conversation with my sister L. inspired me to initiate Eight Days of Christmas Baking, starting and ending with two traditional Italian Christmas treats. For anyone still looking for holiday baking inspiration, I offer this year’s list and some links. More recipes to follow.

Eight Days of Christmas Baking 2010
Friday, December 17: Italian Christmas confetti
Saturday, December 18: Cut-out decorating cookies (see photo)
Sunday, December 19: Sugar cookies
Monday, December 20: Peanut butter cups (and Coconut clusters with the leftover chocolate)
Tuesday, December 21: Pizzelles
Wednesday, December 22: Oat-fruit bars (with cranberry-apple filling)
Thursday, December 23: Mince pies
Friday, December 24: Italian Christmas doughnuts

Hope all who celebrate are having a joyous and stress-free last week of preparation!

6 comments:

Laura O. said... Best Blogger Tips

I had 7 days of baking (and candy making) myself:

Saturday: Toll House Cookie Bars
Sunday: White Chocolate & Macadamia Nut Bars
Monday: Sugar Cookies
Tuesday: Congo Bars
Wednesday: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Thursday: Peppermint Patties
Friday: Repeat either Saturday or Sunday because they are all gone!

Roving Lemon said... Best Blogger Tips

See what I mean? Inspirational!

Celia said... Best Blogger Tips

Merry Christmas, Nancy! Hope you have a wonderful day with your family and friends! Celia x

Roving Lemon said... Best Blogger Tips

You too Celia! x

Laura O. said... Best Blogger Tips

I didn't include making confetti or doughnuts since I didn't actually work at either creation, just sampled the results!

Roving Lemon said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes, well, I think you more than made up for it with your efforts in other areas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...