Saturday, August 8, 2009

What the...?

I think I need to start paying attention to my container garden again.

I’ve been ignoring it, you see, what with it being winter and all. So, no watering, no checking to see how much sun things are getting; to be honest, I haven’t even gotten around to cleaning up the dead stuff from last summer.

Imagine my surprise when I looked out on the balcony earlier this week and noticed something green and growing. Even more amazing: it was the mint. The same mint that I planted twice last summer, and which had never even sprouted.

(Bearing in mind that mint is one of those things that reputedly will take over the entire garden if not contained, because it grows anywhere. I can tell you that its total failure to thrive here made me question my gardening capabilities.)

Apparently it just doesn’t like to be too hot. I guess that’ll teach me to stop taking gardening advice from people in England and the American northeast.

I wonder if any Australians would be willing to advise me whether I’ve left it too long to plant my tulip bulbs?

3 comments:

seepi said... Best Blogger Tips

I think maybe it is too late for tulips - if you have them put them in though - better in the ground than out.

There is a very good bulb man at trash and treasure in belconnen - he will give you all the right tips.

seepi said... Best Blogger Tips

These people have all the answers for vegies in Canberra, unfortunatley they don't do flowers.

http://www.cogs.asn.au/planting-calendar/winter-planting-calendar/

And I'm happy to see I can still put in broad beans and pea seeds - yay!

Roving Lemon said... Best Blogger Tips

seepi - thanks for the info, and the link! It says I can plant lettuce now; off to buy some seeds today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...