Sunday, December 7, 2014

In My Kitchen, 12/14

My blogging pal Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial has been hosting a monthly series called In My Kitchen that I've been enjoying for years - but, despite my best intentions, have never managed to join until now. If you head over to her blog, you can see the full list of this month's participants, and take a peek into kitchens around the world.

Here's a sample of some recent happenings in my kitchen:

My favorite concoction from this year's Thanksgiving leftovers - a sort of rustic pot pie, with leftover chopped turkey and vegetables underneath, in a sauce mixed up from leftover gravy and stock, topped with a leftover bread stuffing crust. Definitely a keeper for next year.

After years of paying attention to little besides the food in the kitchen, my Thanksgiving decoration efforts have given me a newfound interest in flower arranging - especially when it provides some scope for creativity and frugality. I bought two bunches of gerbera daisies at the farmers' market this weekend for $10, and made them into an arrangement using cuttings from my garden - including from my giant mint and rosemary bushes (back to the food again).
 Also from this weekend's farmers' market haul: the first stone fruits of the season. I'm already looking forward to my first batch of nectarine-lime jam (a variation on this peach-lime jam).
We haven't started Christmas decorating in earnest yet, but one thing always comes out on December 1 - Miss B's advent calendar, handmade by her grandmother to replace the one DP and his siblings grew up with. One of our favorite family traditions.

And even without the decorations, it's beginning to look a lot like that time of year, as preparations and supplies for Christmas baking and giving start to pile up.
 
For cooking inspiration, there's the mother of all Christmas cookbooks within easy reach....

...and, to balance out my northern inclinations toward wintery Christmas food, the December issue of delicious., to provide some ideas that will likely be more suitable to the temperature of Christmas Day in Canberra!

What's in your kitchen this month?




8 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome to IMK! The leftover Thanksgiving pie looks delicious! It's really challenging to do northern hemisphere traditional foods here in the heat. Look forward to seeing you here again.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome to IMK. I love those Berberas and your white room in the background looks lovely too.

Joanne T Ferguson said... Best Blogger Tips

G'day Welcome to IMK!
Always on the search for leftovers for Thanksgiving!
Thank you also for this month's kitchen view too!
Cheers! Joanne

celia said... Best Blogger Tips

Yaay! How nice to have you joining in, Nancy! That pie looks amazingly good - I have such a weakness for stuffing! Your flowers are divine, and so nice that Miss B can continue on the family Advent calendar tradition! :)

sherry from sherryspickings said... Best Blogger Tips

welcome to IMK. that pot pie looks really tasty. oh yes you can't go past Nigella for inspiration. and so nice to have fresh flowers in the house.
merry xmas.

Kirsty said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi there Nancy, welcome to IMK. Your floral arrangement is very lovely, and your white room is magazine cover worthy. Speaking of magazines, I can't seem to resist them, I have sooo many! Have yourself a great Christmas. Kirsty xx

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome to IMK! The Thanksgiving leftovers look great. I love how you put herbs with the flowers, I'll have to try that sometime.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome Nancy - great to see you on In My Kitchen! Good to see all those Thanksgiving leftovers becoming such delicious meals, though I don’t know if I could get used to planning the Christmas feast while still getting over the last one :)
I’ll have to get stuck into making some stone fruit jam too - I just saw peaches for $2 a kg so I just need to get organised...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...