Monday, May 27, 2024

News roundup

Thank you for your patience while I took *checks notes* eleven months to post an update. I’ll try to keep it informative without becoming voluminous.

The Thames at sunset, Midsummer Day

Family About a week after Miss B’s graduation last June, we set off for a four-week trip overseas, with stops in England, France, Germany, and Switzerland. We spent time with friends, absorbed loads of cultural and historical information, and had some stupendous meals. We also made trips to Boston (to visit family), and to New Jersey (for our annual beach trip). And at the end of summer, we made the most momentous trip of all - to deliver Miss B to the start of her next adventure, aka university. It’s still kind of mind-blowing to grasp being the parent of a university student, even now when her first year is finished. 

The Alps from Anzère, Switzerland

Work I think DP and I have adjusted well overall to our new phase of life. DP is busy with work as always, and made several work trips, including back to Canberra for the first time in five years. I’ve been able to continue to keep my work schedule more manageable and focus on a few projects that I find interesting and challenging, but which don’t take over my entire life. 

The beach at Cape May

Home We’ve been in Northern Virginia for almost six years, and will soon break our record for staying in one place. This is by far the longest we’ve lived in one house in one location, and it’s been such a relief to have that continuity. I feel as though I’m still learning my way around and finding things to do and places to go (COVID also put the brakes on this process in a big way), and I’m grateful that we’re set to stay here for the foreseeable future. This spring I had visits from the one niece who hadn’t been before, as well as my best friend from Boston, and those made me feel rooted in a new way. 

Domestic still life with snoozing cat


Avocations Changes to my work and parenting commitments have given me the opportunity to give some time and attention to creative interests that had been getting short shrift for a long time. I’m trying to make time every day for creative pursuits. I’m also reading, with my top priority my daily chapter of War & Peace for the yearlong ‘slow read’ I’m taking part in. I’m really enjoying it and I think I’m getting much more out of it than if I had tried to tackle it on my own.

A set of bowl cozies recently completed for a nibling birthday gift

Food Some changes here too, mainly that with a smaller household and other outlets for my interest in making things, I’m not spending as much time cooking as I used to. I still want delicious food and plenty of it, but I also want production to be straightforward and efficient. My priorities these days are veg-heavy meals that provide maximum impact for minimum effort. 

Imagine a tray of vegetables roasting in the oven while I learn strip-and-flip scrap quilting

So that’s the (extremely condensed) news update from here. I promise it won’t be another eleven months until the next one!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...